Wednesday, March 16, 2011

SOAP #23 - Obedience

Scripture - Numbers 5ish-30

27:1 The daughters of Zelophehad son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Makir, the son of Manasseh, belonged to the clans of Manasseh son of Joseph. The names of the daughters were Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah and Tirzah. They approached2 the entrance to the Tent of Meeting and stood before Moses, Eleazar the priest, the leaders and the whole assembly, and said,3 “Our father died in the desert. He was not among Korah's followers, who banded together against the Lord, but he died for his own sin and left no sons. 4 Why should our father's name disappear from his clan because he had no son? Give us property among our father's relatives.” 5 So Moses brought their case before the Lord6 and the Lord said to him, 7 “What Zelophehad's daughters are saying is right. You must certainly give them property as an inheritance among their father's relatives and turn their father's inheritance over to them. 8 “Say to the Israelites, ‘If a man dies and leaves no son, turn his inheritance over to his daughter.9 If he has no daughter, give his inheritance to his brothers.10 If he has no brothers, give his inheritance to his father's brothers.11 If his father had no brothers, give his inheritance to the nearest relative in his clan, that he may possess it. This is to be a legal requirement for the Israelites, as the Lord commanded Moses.’ ” 
12 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go up this mountain in the Abarim range and see the land I have given the Israelites.13 After you have seen it, you too will be gathered to your people, as your brother Aaron was,14 for when the community rebelled at the waters in the Desert of Zin, both of you disobeyed my command to honor me as holy before their eyes.” 15 Moses said to the Lord,16 “May the Lord, the God of the spirits of all mankind, appoint a man over this community 17 to go out and come in before them, one who will lead them out and bring them in, so the Lord's people will not be like sheep without a shepherd.” 18 So the Lord said to Moses, “Take Joshua son of Nun, a 'man in whom is the spirit, and lay your hand on him.
Observations - Clearly, I haven't been SOAPing as I should. My last post was on Numbers 1-4!!  I have read the rest of the book.  Most of it is a bit tedious, but I really have enjoyed parts of it.   Particularly when the scouting party was sent out for 40 days to see Canaan and bring back news about its abundance.  Joshua & Caleb were the only 2 to trust in God that He could deliver the land into the Israelites' hands.  The rest said the people were too strong.  That was when God punished them by making them wander 1 year for every day the scouts were in Canaan.  Everybody counted in the first census would die & not set foot in the land.  In Numbers 26, another census is taken, and in chapter 27, God tells Moses to go look at the land, then he will die without setting foot in it.  He also blesses Joshua as the new leader of the Israelites.  I was also intrigued by the beginning of chapter 27 where God says that daughters are to inherit if a man doesn't have sons.  This was unheard of until now.  After this, it goes back into more offerings to be made & the 5 feasts of the year.  This is pretty repetitive from Exodus & Leviticus, but I'd need it drilled into me, too, or I'd forget it.  And how many animals were sacrificed in a year, just in the regular offerings?  Much less the extra sin & freewill offerings?
Application -  This entire first few months of readings has been about obedience.  Do you think God is trying to tell me something?  Is He trying to tell us all something? Obey Him, follow Him, love Him, or His wrath will rain down on us like fire.  Well, I've been convicted.  
Prayer - Dear Lord, my prayer is that You will show me where I'm being disobedient.  Where am I failing to follow your leading?  Who do I need to share Your love with?  Show me.  Teach me.  Guide me!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment