Sunday, September 23, 2012

Against All Odds

Well this weekend I ran in my first race out of town.  Sure it was only a 2 mile race, but there was nobody there I knew, other than my family, & it was a little intimidating!  The course was hilly, with only 1 flat stretch. It kind of sucked.  But I finished.  I wasn't last.  And I think it was the fastest I've ever done 2 miles.  I don't really know on that last part, because I started my apps about 5 minutes before the race & forgot to turn them off for another 10 after.  However, the timer when I crossed the line said 22 minutes & something.  And then I heard that it was 3 minutes fast.  Even if it was 25 minutes, it was still fast for me!  So, I'm a runner, against all odds.

Today in church we learned about Mark.  You know, from the Gospel of Mark?  Do you know who Mark is?  I'll be you assume he was a disciple of Jesus.  I did.  The first mention of Mark is in Acts 12:12. As an afterthought.  Peter escaped from jail & went to Mark's mom's house, where the early Christians were praying for him.  Mark was then asked to accompany Paul & Barnabas on the very first Christian mission trip.  He freaked out & abandoned the mission.  That caused quite a rift between Paul & Barnabas later & caused them to split up, with Barnabas taking Mark.   Mark disappears from the Bible text for about 10 years, until Paul mentions him during his first imprisonment in Rome.  He wants Mark to go to the Collosions & minister to them.  Huh??  Last we knew, Paul was so mad about Mark deserting, that it caused a split with Barnabas!!   In 1 Peter 5:13, Peter speaks of Mark as his son.  He had taken Mark under his wing when he went to Rome & taught him well.  Mark was a disciple of Peter.  The Gospel of Mark is Peter's account of Christ, as told to Mark!  God used Mark to speak to the Gentiles, probably specifically the Romans.  It's a fairly short book, moves quickly, & explains the Jewish customs in detail.   God used a deserter, one who drove a wedge between believers, to reach the lost in Rome.  If He can use Mark, He can use us, too, against all odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment