Scripture - Genesis 4-7
Observations - Lots of genealogy here. Kind of confusing. We also have the first murder. Cain kills Abel because he is jealous. And all it did was bring more heartache to himself and his descendants.
And the story, sorry, the history of Noah and the flood. I've been trying not to call them Bible stories, as that conjures up something fictional. I believe that the flood happened. Noah and his family weren't perfect, but they were obedient to God. That's really all He asks of us. He knows we can't be perfect.
And of course the Nephilim. I was a bit obsessed with this for a time. The Message version calls them giants. Produced when the sons of God had children with women. If anyone knows what this means, please tell me!! I'm not sure what this is referring to, but I find it fascinating. Probably my love of fantasy stories.
Application - When we act in our own selfish motivations, no good ever comes of it. We are called to be obedient to God & do His will, even when it isn't our own. So as I struggle with this, I'm led to search what His will is. Right now my family is my focus. My job as Mom is to love them no matter what, and to try to teach them about the Lord and His ways. Even as they get old enough to have their own lives, they still need guidance and instruction each day. And love. God is love. Always.
Prayer - Dear God, lead me in your ways for me & for my family. Give me the words to say to my children to draw them close to You. And help me to have You in my sights, always. Amen.
Wow! I have never heard of the sons of God having giant offspring! I am puzzled.... who are the sons of God? I thought God had only one Son, Jesus. Hmmmm....
ReplyDeleteI want to just take a moment to honor you for honoring God through your role as mom. The most important job in the world (except dad ranks right up there with it IMO). Without Christian moms teaching our kids right from wrong and how to honor God through our actions, our world is in big trouble. Only a mom or dad can FULLY lead a child to believe in God and honor his ways in our lives. It takes that daily example and modelling that just doesn't come from outside the home as often or as deeply. The deep relationship we have with our children makes us the strongest example they will follow-- and hopefully the best. What an awesome task God has granted us in raising our children. I join with you in asking God to help me be the mom I need to be so that my kids learn to love Him and honor Him.
Thank you for that! It is so important to model that obedience to Him for our children!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I know about the giants and stuff. It had me stumped for a while. Never did find a good answer, so I dropped it. It keeps coming up, tho!