Wednesday, January 19, 2011

SOAP #7 - Do I have that kind of faith?

Scripture - Genesis 19-29
22:16 “I swear—God’s sure word!—because you have gone through with this, and have not refused to give me your son, your dear, dear son,17 I’ll bless you—oh, how I’ll bless you! And I’ll make sure that your children flourish—like stars in the sky! like sand on the beaches! And your descendants will defeat their enemies.18 All nations on Earth will find themselves blessed through your descendants because you obeyed me.”
25:1 Abraham married a second time; his new wife was named Keturah.2 She gave birth to Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah. ............   16 all the sons of Ishmael. Their settlements and encampments were named after them. Twelve princes with their twelve tribes... 18 His children settled down all the way from Havilah near Egypt eastward to Shur in the direction of Assyria. The Ishmaelites didn’t get along with any of their kin.  .............. 23 (Isaac & Rebekah) God told her, Two nations are in your womb, two peoples butting heads while still in your body. One people will overpower the other, and the older will serve the younger. 
26:6 So Isaac stayed put in Gerar.7 The men of the place questioned him about his wife. He said, “She’s my sister.” He was afraid to say “She’s my wife.” He was thinking, “These men might kill me to get Rebekah, she’s so beautiful.”........10 Abimelech said, “But think of what you might have done to us! Given a little more time, one of the men might have slept with your wife; you would have been responsible for bringing guilt down on us.”11 Then Abimelech gave orders to his people: “Anyone who so much as lays a hand on this man or his wife dies.”  ..............  34 When Esau was forty years old he married Judith, daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Basemath, daughter of Elon the Hittite.35 They turned out to be thorns in the sides of Isaac and Rebekah.
27:36 Esau said, “Not for nothing was he named Jacob, the Heel. Twice now he’s tricked me: first he took my birthright and now he’s taken my blessing.” 
He begged, “Haven’t you kept back any blessing for me?”
37 Isaac answered Esau, “I’ve made him your master, and all his brothers his servants, and lavished grain and wine on him. I’ve given it all away. What’s left for you, my son?”........... 
43 (Rebekah) Son, listen to me. Get out of here. Run for your life to Haran, to my brother Laban.44 Live with him for a while until your brother cools down,45 until his anger subsides and he forgets what you did to him. I’ll then send for you and bring you back. Why should I lose both of you the same day?”46 Rebekah spoke to Isaac, “I’m sick to death of these Hittite women. If Jacob also marries a native Hittite woman, why live?”
28:8 When Esau realized how deeply his father Isaac disliked the Canaanite women,9 he went to Ishmael and married Mahalath the sister of Nebaioth and daughter of Ishmael, Abraham’s son. This was in addition to the wives he already had. .......................  10 Jacob left Beersheba and went to Haran.11 He came to a certain place and camped for the night since the sun had set. He took one of the stones there, set it under his head and lay down to sleep.12 And he dreamed: A stairway was set on the ground and it reached all the way to the sky; angels of God were going up and going down on it...... 20 Jacob vowed a vow: “If God stands by me and protects me on this journey on which I’m setting out, keeps me in food and clothing,21 and brings me back in one piece to my father’s house, this God will be my God.22 This stone that I have set up as a memorial pillar will mark this as a place where God lives. And everything you give me, I’ll return a tenth to you.”
29:31 When God realized that Leah was unloved, he opened her womb. But Rachel was barren.


Observation -  All nations on earth will be blessed by Abraham's descendants because he obeyed God, even to the point of being willing to sacrifice his beloved son.  Would I be willing to sacrifice my children for God?  I don't know. 

I'm reminded of the story of the father & son fishing with one of the son's friends.  A violent storm came up & both boys were thrown overboard.  The father knew he may only have time to save one of them.  He saved his son's friend, and indeed, didn't have time to save his own son.  The friend was shocked & upset.  The father wasn't.  He said that he knew his son knew & served Jesus, but that the friend wasn't a Christian.  He only had one choice.  Save the friend, because his son was already saved.  The story is that the boy grew up to become a minister.  


Do I have that kind of faith?  To sacrifice my life, my children's lives, to save someone else's.  I don't know.  I hope that I would, if I had to.


I put in a few more verses that spoke to me.  I didn't remember Abraham marrying again.  And I'm always fascinated by how Ishmael's inheritance mirrors Isaac's.  His 12 tribes came a generation before the ones from Jacob, though.  And then how Isaac follows Abraham's footsteps by claiming Rebekah is his sister.  I also thought it was interesting that Esau married a Hittite woman, then saw how much Isaac disliked them, so went to Ishmael to marry one of his daughters too!   


Jacob wanted God to prove Himself, & only agreed to follow Him if he came back to Isaac's house alive.  How often do we want God to prove Himself to us?  We pray for this or that & promise to quit doing whatever.  Abraham's descendants were blessed for all eternity, because Abraham believed, feared, loved, & obeyed God.


Application - Well, clearly God is speaking to me about my faith.  I need to find it & nurture it.  I need to believe Him, fear Him, love Him, & obey Him.  In all things.  God doesn't need to prove His power or love to me or anyone else.  Who am I to question The Almighty? 


Prayer - Dear Heavenly Father, I am called to believe you with the faith of a child.  Draw me closer to You.  Lead me in Your will for my life.   Help me to remember to praise You & thank You in all things.  God is good!!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment