Wednesday, January 26, 2011

SOAP #12 - Who am I?

Scripture Exodus 1-4 (The Message & NIV)

1:1 These are the names of the Israelites who went to Egypt with Jacob, each bringing his family members:2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah,3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin,4 Dan and Naphtali, Gad and Asher.5 Seventy persons in all generated by Jacob’s seed. Joseph was already in Egypt.6 Then Joseph died, and all his brothers—that whole generation. 7 But the children of Israel kept on reproducing. They were very prolific—a population explosion in their own right—and the land was filled with them. ......  12 But the harder the Egyptians worked them the more children the Israelites had—children everywhere! The Egyptians got so they couldn’t stand the Israelites13 and treated them worse than ever, crushing them with slave labor.14 They made them miserable with hard labor—making bricks and mortar and back-breaking work in the fields. They piled on the work, crushing them under the cruel workload.15 The king of Egypt had a talk with the two Hebrew midwives; one was named Shiphrah and the other Puah.16 He said, “When you deliver the Hebrew women, look at the sex of the baby. If it’s a boy, kill him; if it’s a girl, let her live.”17 But the midwives had far too much respect for God and didn’t do what the king of Egypt ordered; they let the boy babies live.18 The king of Egypt called in the midwives. “Why didn’t you obey my orders? You’ve let those babies live!”19 The midwives answered Pharaoh, “The Hebrew women aren’t like the Egyptian women; they’re vigorous. Before the midwife can get there, they’ve already had the baby.”20 God was pleased with the midwives. The people continued to increase in number—a very strong people.21 And because the midwives honored God, God gave them families of their own. 22 So Pharaoh issued a general order to all his people: “Every boy that is born, drown him in the Nile. But let the girls live.”
2:24 God listened to their groanings. God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob.25 God saw what was going on with Israel. God understood.
3:2 There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. ....... 7 The Lord said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering.8 So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey. ... 11 But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"
4:10 Moses said to the Lord, "Pardon your servant, Lord. I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." 11 The Lord said to him, "Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." 13 But Moses said, "Pardon your servant, Lord. Please send someone else." 14 Then the Lord's anger burned against Moses and he said, "What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and he will be glad to see you.15 You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do.16 He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him.17 But take this staff in your hand so you can perform the signs with it." ..........21 The Lord said to Moses, "When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go.22 Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the Lord says: Israel is my firstborn son,23 and I told you, "Let my son go, so he may worship me." But you refused to let him go; so I will kill your firstborn son.'".....   29 Moses and Aaron brought together all the elders of the Israelites,30 and Aaron told them everything the Lord had said to Moses. He also performed the signs before the people,31 and they believed. And when they heard that the Lord was concerned about them and had seen their misery, they bowed down and worshiped. 
Observations - God was always watching over His people. When Pharaoh tried to kill all the boys, the midwives wouldn't do it.  God was pleased.  He heard their cries & remembered the covenant with Abraham!   Even great leaders like Moses sometimes don't want to lead.  He complained to God for a whole chapter, trying to get out of it!!!  How many times have we tried to get out of something God was calling us to do?  Aaron & Moses came to tell the Israelites what God was going to do. They saw the signs, heard that God was concerned, and believed then worshiped Him!  Believe & worship Him!!
Application - God speaks to us, just like He spoke to Moses.  Maybe not aloud or as a burning bush, but in the little nudges we get to talk to someone we know is in need. Or to step out of our comfort zone & lead a Bible study.  I am not a particularly good speaker, nor do I enjoy it, but sometimes I feel like God is calling me to be a light to people around me.  Not in a huge Beth Moore kinda way, but maybe just praying aloud what's on my heart in a group setting.   We are also called to hear & believe, then worship Him.   Worship Him in all thing & bring glory to God!  Stop asking "Who am I?" and start saying "Here I am, Lord, use me!!"
Prayer - Dear God, help me to listen to what Your will for me is.  Let me be sensitive to the nudgings of Your Holy Spirit.  Plant in me the seeds to grow a garden of believers to bring glory & worship You!  Here I am Lord!!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment