Sunday, January 16, 2011

SOAP #5

Scripture Job 32-42 (The Message)
 32 Elihu was the son of Barakel the Buzite, he was silent until now
7 I kept thinking, ‘Experience will tell. The longer you live, the wiser you become.’
8 But I see I was wrong—it’s God’s Spirit in a person, the breath of the Almighty One, that makes wise human insight possible. 
21 And I’m going to say it straight— the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
22 I was never any good at bootlicking; my Maker would make short work of me if I started in now!
 33:8 “Here’s what you said. I heard you say it with my own ears.
9 You said, ‘I’m pure—I’ve done nothing wrong. Believe me, I’m clean—my conscience is clear.
10 But God keeps picking on me; he treats me like I’m his enemy.
11 He’s thrown me in jail; he keeps me under constant surveillance.’
12 “But let me tell you, Job, you’re wrong, dead wrong!God is far greater than any human.
13 So how dare you haul him into court, and then complain that he won’t answer your charges?
14 God always answers, one way or another, even when people don’t recognize his presence.
 34:12 It’s impossible for God to do anything wicked, for the Mighty One to subvert justice.
31 “So why don’t you simply confess to God? Say, ‘I sinned, but I’ll sin no more.
32 Teach me to see what I still don’t see. Whatever evil I’ve done, I’ll do it no more.’
37 You’ve compounded your original sin by rebelling against God’s discipline, Defiantly shaking your fist at God, piling up indictments against the Almighty One.” 
35:2 “Does this kind of thing make any sense? First you say, ‘I’m perfectly innocent before God.’
3 And then you say, ‘It doesn’t make a bit of difference whether I’ve sinned or not.’
14 So why would he notice you just because you say you’re tired of waiting to be heard,
36:15 But those who learn from their suffering, God delivers from their suffering.....
16 “Oh, Job, don’t you see how God’s wooing you from the jaws of danger? 
How he’s drawing you into wide-open places— inviting you to feast at a table laden with blessings?
17 And here you are laden with the guilt of the wicked, obsessed with putting the blame on God!
37:14 “Job, are you listening? Have you noticed all this? Stop in your tracks! Take in God’s miracle-wonders!
15 Do you have any idea how God does it all, how he makes bright lightning from dark storms,
16 How he piles up the cumulus clouds— all these miracle-wonders of a perfect Mind?
20 Do you think I’m dumb enough to challenge God? Wouldn’t that just be asking for trouble?
23 “Mighty God! Far beyond our reach! Unsurpassable in power and justice! It’s unthinkable that he’d treat anyone unfairly.
24 So bow to him in deep reverence, one and all! If you’re wise, you’ll most certainly worship him.” 
38:1 And now, finally, God answered Job from the eye of a violent storm. He said:
4 Where were you when I created the earth? Tell me, since you know so much!
12 “And have you ever ordered Morning, ‘Get up!’ told Dawn, ‘Get to work!’
28 And who do you think is the father of rain and dew,29 the mother of ice and frost?
30 You don’t for a minute imagine these marvels of weather just happen, do you?
35 Can you take charge of the lightning bolts and have them report to you for orders? What Do You Have to Say for Yourself?
40:1 God then confronted Job directly:
2 “Now what do you have to say for yourself? Are you going to haul me, the Mighty One, into court and press charges?” 
3 Job answered:4 “I’m speechless, in awe—words fail me. I should never have opened my mouth!
6  God addressed Job next from the eye of the storm, and this is what he said:
7 “I have some more questions for you, and I want straight answers.
8 “Do you presume to tell me what I’m doing wrong? Are you calling me a sinner so you can be a saint?
14 I’ll gladly step aside and hand things over to you— you can surely save yourself with no help from me!
5 “Look at the land beast, Behemoth. I created him as well as you. Grazing on grass, docile as a cow—
16 Just look at the strength of his back, the powerful muscles of his belly.
17 His tail sways like a cedar in the wind; his huge legs are like beech trees.
42:1 Job answered God:
2 “I’m convinced: You can do anything and everything. Nothing and no one can upset your plans.
3 You asked, ‘Who is this muddying the water, ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?’ I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me, made small talk about wonders way over my head.
4 You told me, ‘Listen, and let me do the talking. Let me ask the questions. You give the answers.’
5 I admit I once lived by rumors of you; now I have it all firsthand—from my own eyes and ears!
6 I’m sorry—forgive me. I’ll never do that again, I promise! I’ll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor.” 
7 After God had finished addressing Job, he turned to Eliphaz the Temanite and said, “I’ve had it with you and your two friends. I’m fed up! You haven’t been honest either with me or about me—not the way my friend Job has.8 So here’s what you must do. Take seven bulls and seven rams, and go to my friend Job. Sacrifice a burnt offering on your own behalf. My friend Job will pray for you, and I will accept his prayer. He will ask me not to treat you as you deserve for talking nonsense about me, and for not being honest with me, as he has.”9 They did it. Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite did what God commanded. And God accepted Job’s prayer.10 After Job had interceded for his friends, God restored his fortune—and then doubled it!11 All his brothers and sisters and friends came to his house and celebrated. They told him how sorry they were, and consoled him for all the trouble God had brought him. Each of them brought generous housewarming gifts.12 God blessed Job’s later life even more than his earlier life. He ended up with fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, one thousand teams of oxen, and one thousand donkeys.13 He also had seven sons and three daughters.14 He named the first daughter Dove, the second, Cinnamon, and the third, Darkeyes.15 There was not a woman in that country as beautiful as Job’s daughters. Their father treated them as equals with their brothers, providing the same inheritance.16 Job lived on another hundred and forty years, living to see his children and grandchildren—four generations of them!17 Then he died—an old man, a full life.
Observations - Again, Job is long.  I like this last speaker better.  He chose his words carefully & realized that wisdom doesn't come with age, only with God.  Elihu threw Job's words back at him.  It made Job realize that his defiance that he had never sinned, only made his suffering worse.   Elihu showed Job that God is all-powerful & incapable of doing any wrong, any injustice.  In the end, everyone gets what they deserve.  God spoke to Job & reminded him of everything that  God created & still controlled.  Job had no business questioning God at all!  In the end, God would only interceded for Job's friends if they sacrificed & Job asked for it.  Then his wealth was restored doubled what it had been, including children & grandchildren.
Application - Even when we don't think we've sinned, we have.  It may be something small or we may not even realize it.  The only perfect person ever was Jesus.  He was our sacrifice so that God could intervene & save us from ourselves & our iniquity.
Prayer - Dear God, help me to realize when I've sinned against anyone, as I know that all sins are against you, too.  Help me to come to you for forgiveness always & keep me humble in my iniquity.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment