42:3 Ten of Joseph’s brothers went down to Egypt to get food.4 Jacob didn’t send Joseph’s brother Benjamin with them; he was afraid that something bad might happen to him.5 So Israel’s sons joined everyone else that was going to Egypt to buy food, for Canaan, too, was hit hard by the famine.6 Joseph was running the country; he was the one who gave out rations to all the people. When Joseph’s brothers arrived, they treated him with honor, bowing to him. ...........21 Then they started talking among themselves. “Now we’re paying for what we did to our brother—we saw how terrified he was when he was begging us for mercy. We wouldn’t listen to him and now we’re the ones in trouble.”22 Reuben broke in. “Didn’t I tell you, ‘Don’t hurt the boy’? But no, you wouldn’t listen. And now we’re paying for his murder.”23 Joseph had been using an interpreter, so they didn’t know that Joseph was understanding every word. ...... 37 Reuben spoke up: “I’ll put my two sons in your hands as hostages. If I don’t bring Benjamin back, you can kill them. Trust me with Benjamin; I’ll bring him back.”38 But Jacob refused. “My son will not go down with you. His brother is dead and he is all I have left. If something bad happens to him on the road, you’ll put my gray, sorrowing head in the grave.”
43:11 Their father Israel gave in. “If it has to be, it has to be. But do this: stuff your packs with the finest products from the land you can find and take them to the man as gifts—some balm and honey, some spices and perfumes, some pistachios and almonds.12 And take plenty of money—pay back double what was returned to your sacks; that might have been a mistake. ..... 16 When Joseph saw that they had Benjamin with them, he told his house steward, “Take these men into the house and make them at home. Butcher an animal and prepare a meal; these men are going to eat with me at noon.” ........ 33 The brothers were seated facing Joseph, arranged in order of their age, from the oldest to the youngest. They looked at one another wide-eyed, wondering what would happen next.34 When the brothers’ plates were served from Joseph’s table, Benjamin’s plate came piled high, far more so than his brothers. And so the brothers feasted with Joseph, drinking freely.
44:1 Joseph ordered his house steward: “Fill the men’s bags with food—all they can carry—and replace each one’s money at the top of the bag.2 Then put my chalice, my silver chalice, in the top of the bag of the youngest, along with the money for his food.” He did as Joseph ordered. ........... 18 Judah came forward. He said, “Please, master; can I say just one thing to you? ..... 30 “And now, can’t you see that if I show up before your servant, my father, without the boy, this son with whom his life is so bound up,31 the moment he realizes the boy is gone, he’ll die on the spot. He’ll die of grief and we, your servants who are standing here before you, will have killed him.
45:3 Joseph spoke to his brothers: “I am Joseph. Is my father really still alive?” But his brothers couldn’t say a word. They were speechless—they couldn’t believe what they were hearing and seeing.4 “Come closer to me,” Joseph said to his brothers. They came closer. “I am Joseph your brother whom you sold into Egypt.5 But don’t feel badly, don’t blame yourselves for selling me. God was behind it. God sent me here ahead of you to save lives.6 There has been a famine in the land now for two years; the famine will continue for five more years—neither plowing nor harvesting.7 God sent me on ahead to pave the way and make sure there was a remnant in the land, to save your lives in an amazing act of deliverance.8 So you see, it wasn’t you who sent me here but God. He set me in place as a father to Pharaoh, put me in charge of his personal affairs, and made me ruler of all Egypt.9 “Hurry back to my father. Tell him, ‘Your son Joseph says: I’m master of all of Egypt. Come as fast as you can and join me here.10 I’ll give you a place to live ......... 16 The story was reported in Pharaoh’s palace: “Joseph’s brothers have come.” It was good news to Pharaoh and all who worked with him.17 Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Tell your brothers, ‘This is the plan: Load up your pack animals; go to Canaan,18 get your father and your families and bring them back here. I’ll settle you on the best land in Egypt—you’ll live off the fat of the land.’19 “Also tell them this: ‘Here’s what I want you to do: Take wagons from Egypt to carry your little ones and your wives and load up your father and come back.20 Don’t worry about having to leave things behind; the best in all of Egypt will be yours.’” ...... 25 They left Egypt and went back to their father Jacob in Canaan.26 When they told him, “Joseph is still alive—and he’s the ruler over the whole land of Egypt!” he went numb; he couldn’t believe his ears.
46:2 God spoke to Israel in a vision that night: “Jacob! Jacob!”
“Yes?” he said. “I’m listening.”3 God said, “I am the God of your father. Don’t be afraid of going down to Egypt. I’m going to make you a great nation there.4 I’ll go with you down to Egypt; I’ll also bring you back here. And when you die, Joseph will be with you; with his own hand he’ll close your eyes.” .......Jacob brought everyone in his family with him7 —sons and grandsons, daughters and granddaughters. Everyone. ......... 26 Summing up, all those who went down to Egypt with Jacob—his own children, not counting his sons’ wives—numbered sixty-six.27 Counting in the two sons born to Joseph in Egypt, the members of Jacob’s family who ended up in Egypt numbered seventy.
47:5 Pharaoh looked at Joseph. “So, your father and brothers have arrived—a reunion!6 Egypt welcomes them. Settle your father and brothers on the choicest land—yes, give them Goshen. And if you know any among them that are especially good at their work, put them in charge of my own livestock.”7 Next Joseph brought his father Jacob in and introduced him to Pharaoh. Jacob blessed Pharaoh.8 Pharaoh asked Jacob, “How old are you?”9 Jacob answered Pharaoh, “The years of my sojourning are 130—a short and hard life and not nearly as long as my ancestors were given.”10 Then Jacob blessed Pharaoh and left. ................. 20 So Joseph bought up all the farms in Egypt for Pharaoh. Every Egyptian sold his land—the famine was that bad. That’s how Pharaoh ended up owning all the land21 and the people ended up slaves; Joseph reduced the people to slavery from one end of Egypt to the other.22 Joseph made an exception for the priests. He didn’t buy their land because they received a fixed salary from Pharaoh and were able to live off of that salary. So they didn’t need to sell their land.23 Joseph then announced to the people: “Here’s how things stand: I’ve bought you and your land for Pharaoh. In exchange I’m giving you seed so you can plant the ground.24 When the crops are harvested, you must give a fifth to Pharaoh and keep four-fifths for yourselves, for seed for yourselves and your families—you’re going to be able to feed your children!”25 They said, “You’ve saved our lives! Master, we’re grateful and glad to be slaves to Pharaoh.”26 Joseph decreed a land law in Egypt that is still in effect, A Fifth Goes to Pharaoh. Only the priests’ lands were not owned by Pharaoh. ...... 28 Jacob lived in Egypt for seventeen years. In all, he lived 147 years.29 When the time came for Israel to die, he called his son Joseph and said, “Do me this favor. Put your hand under my thigh, a sign that you’re loyal and true to me to the end. Don’t bury me in Egypt.30 When I lie down with my fathers, carry me out of Egypt and bury me alongside them.” “I will,” he said. “I’ll do what you’ve asked.”31 Israel said, “Promise me.” Joseph promised. Israel bowed his head in submission and gratitude from his bed.
4:5 I’m adopting your two sons who were born to you here in Egypt before I joined you; they have equal status with Reuben and Simeon.6 But any children born after them are yours; they will come after their brothers in matters of inheritance. ..... 9 Joseph told his father, “They are my sons whom God gave to me in this place.” “Bring them to me,” he said, “so I can bless them.”10 Israel’s eyesight was poor from old age; he was nearly blind. So Joseph brought them up close. Old Israel kissed and embraced them11 and then said to Joseph, “I never expected to see your face again, and now God has let me see your children as well!”12 Joseph took them from Israel’s knees and bowed respectfully, his face to the ground.13 Then Joseph took the two boys, Ephraim with his right hand setting him to Israel’s left, and Manasseh with his left hand setting him to Israel’s right, and stood them before him.14 But Israel crossed his arms and put his right hand on the head of Ephraim who was the younger and his left hand on the head of Manasseh, the firstborn. .... 17 When Joseph saw that his father had placed his right hand on Ephraim’s head, he thought he had made a mistake, so he took hold of his father’s hand to move it from Ephraim’s head to Manasseh’s,18 saying, “That’s the wrong head, Father; the other one is the firstborn; place your right hand on his head.”19 But his father wouldn’t do it. He said, “I know, my son; but I know what I’m doing. He also will develop into a people, and he also will be great. But his younger brother will be even greater and his descendants will enrich nations.” ........ 21 Israel then said to Joseph, “I’m about to die. God be with you and give you safe passage back to the land of your fathers.22 As for me, I’m presenting you, as the first among your brothers, the ridge of land I took from Amorites with my sword and bow.”
Observations - I love how God's prophecies come true!! The plenty & famine, Joseph's brothers bowing to him. Fabulous! How can you deny God, when His prophecies all come true? It's not just a work of fiction, it is fact! This observation has taken a different turn. I was going to go with the fact the Joseph saw that his brothers' mistreatment was just God bringing him to Egypt, so he could save them all! I love the Old Testament, because we get to look back on it from history. They didn't know when it was written that everything would come to pass, just as God had foretold. Even if you think you don't believe in God, how can you possibly refute the fulfillment of prophecy?
Application - Well this is different that where I thought I was going. I thought I was going to talk about how Israel blessed Joseph's sons the was Abraham had blessed him & Esau. Instead, I've gotten that you can't deny God!! He is The Almighty, The All-knowing, The All in All!!
Prayer - God, I want to praise You always for Your plan. I am not supposed to know what it is, but I know that Your ways are best. Always. Amen!
P.S. I really liked Chapter 49, so I copied the entire thing here. Israel switched up the blessings of his sons, like he had tricked Abraham to do so many years before. He was forthright & gave all his reasons for denying some & lifting others up.
1 Jacob called his sons and said, “Gather around. I want to tell you what you can expect in the days to come.”
2 Come together, listen sons of Jacob,
listen to Israel your father.
listen to Israel your father.
3 Reuben, you’re my firstborn,
my strength, first proof of my manhood,
at the top in honor and at the top in power,
my strength, first proof of my manhood,
at the top in honor and at the top in power,
4 But like a bucket of water spilled,
you’ll be at the top no more,
Because you climbed into your father’s marriage bed,
mounting that couch, and you defiled it.
you’ll be at the top no more,
Because you climbed into your father’s marriage bed,
mounting that couch, and you defiled it.
5 Simeon and Levi are two of a kind,
ready to fight at the drop of a hat.
ready to fight at the drop of a hat.
6 I don’t want anything to do with their vendettas,
want no part in their bitter feuds;
They kill men in fits of temper,
slash oxen on a whim.
want no part in their bitter feuds;
They kill men in fits of temper,
slash oxen on a whim.
7 A curse on their uncontrolled anger,
on their indiscriminate wrath.
I’ll throw them out with the trash;
I’ll shred and scatter them like confetti throughout Israel.
on their indiscriminate wrath.
I’ll throw them out with the trash;
I’ll shred and scatter them like confetti throughout Israel.
8 You, Judah, your brothers will praise you:
Your fingers on your enemies’ throat,
while your brothers honor you.
Your fingers on your enemies’ throat,
while your brothers honor you.
9 You’re a lion’s cub, Judah,
home fresh from the kill, my son.
Look at him, crouched like a lion, king of beasts;
who dares mess with him?
home fresh from the kill, my son.
Look at him, crouched like a lion, king of beasts;
who dares mess with him?
10 The scepter shall not leave Judah;
he’ll keep a firm grip on the command staff
Until the ultimate ruler comes
and the nations obey him.
he’ll keep a firm grip on the command staff
Until the ultimate ruler comes
and the nations obey him.
11 He’ll tie up his donkey to the grapevine,
his purebred prize to a sturdy branch.
He will wash his shirt in wine
and his cloak in the blood of grapes,
his purebred prize to a sturdy branch.
He will wash his shirt in wine
and his cloak in the blood of grapes,
12 His eyes will be darker than wine,
his teeth whiter than milk.
his teeth whiter than milk.
13 Zebulun settles down on the seashore;
he’s a safe harbor for ships,
right alongside Sidon.
he’s a safe harbor for ships,
right alongside Sidon.
14 Issachar is one tough donkey
crouching between the corrals;
crouching between the corrals;
15 When he saw how good the place was,
how pleasant the country,
He gave up his freedom
and went to work as a slave.
how pleasant the country,
He gave up his freedom
and went to work as a slave.
16 Dan will handle matters of justice for his people;
he will hold his own just fine among the tribes of Israel.
he will hold his own just fine among the tribes of Israel.
17 Dan is only a small snake in the grass,
a lethal serpent in ambush by the road
When he strikes a horse in the heel,
and brings its huge rider crashing down.
a lethal serpent in ambush by the road
When he strikes a horse in the heel,
and brings its huge rider crashing down.
18 I wait in hope
for your salvation, God.
for your salvation, God.
19 Gad will be attacked by bandits,
but he will trip them up.
but he will trip them up.
20 Asher will become famous for rich foods,
candies and sweets fit for kings.
candies and sweets fit for kings.
21 Naphtali is a deer running free
that gives birth to lovely fawns.
that gives birth to lovely fawns.
22 Joseph is a wild donkey,
a wild donkey by a spring,
spirited donkeys on a hill.
a wild donkey by a spring,
spirited donkeys on a hill.
23 The archers with malice attacked,
shooting their hate-tipped arrows;
shooting their hate-tipped arrows;
24 But he held steady under fire,
his bow firm, his arms limber,
With the backing of the Champion of Jacob,
the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel.
his bow firm, his arms limber,
With the backing of the Champion of Jacob,
the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel.
25 The God of your father—may he help you!
And may The Strong God—may he give you his blessings,
Blessings tumbling out of the skies,
blessings bursting up from the Earth—
blessings of breasts and womb.
And may The Strong God—may he give you his blessings,
Blessings tumbling out of the skies,
blessings bursting up from the Earth—
blessings of breasts and womb.
26 May the blessings of your father
exceed the blessings of the ancient mountains,
surpass the delights of the eternal hills;
May they rest on the head of Joseph,
on the brow of the one consecrated among his brothers.
exceed the blessings of the ancient mountains,
surpass the delights of the eternal hills;
May they rest on the head of Joseph,
on the brow of the one consecrated among his brothers.
27 Benjamin is a ravenous wolf;
all morning he gorges on his kill,
at evening divides up what’s left over.28 All these are the tribes of Israel, the twelve tribes. And this is what their father said to them as he blessed them, blessing each one with his own special farewell blessing.29 Then he instructed them: “I am about to be gathered to my people. Bury me with my fathers in the cave which is in the field of Ephron the Hittite,30 the cave in the field of Machpelah facing Mamre in the land of Canaan, the field Abraham bought from Ephron the Hittite for a burial plot.31 Abraham and his wife Sarah were buried there; Isaac and his wife Rebekah were buried there; I also buried Leah there.32 The field and the cave were bought from the Hittites.”33 Jacob finished instructing his sons, pulled his feet into bed, breathed his last, and was gathered to his people.
all morning he gorges on his kill,
at evening divides up what’s left over.28 All these are the tribes of Israel, the twelve tribes. And this is what their father said to them as he blessed them, blessing each one with his own special farewell blessing.29 Then he instructed them: “I am about to be gathered to my people. Bury me with my fathers in the cave which is in the field of Ephron the Hittite,30 the cave in the field of Machpelah facing Mamre in the land of Canaan, the field Abraham bought from Ephron the Hittite for a burial plot.31 Abraham and his wife Sarah were buried there; Isaac and his wife Rebekah were buried there; I also buried Leah there.32 The field and the cave were bought from the Hittites.”33 Jacob finished instructing his sons, pulled his feet into bed, breathed his last, and was gathered to his people.
No comments:
Post a Comment